Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Corpse Flower

Following my last post on desert plants, I have one to report right here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.  We have a famous conservatory here, The Muttart.  Last August it obtained a Corpse Plant - the only one in Canada.  This week, on Earth Day,  April 22, it bloomed.



It grew to a height of 7'4".  It's claim to fame is the awful smell the blossom has - like a decomposing animal. Luckily it blooms very infrequently.

You can check it out at the  Muttart Conservatory website.

There were huge lineups at the Muttart. So many people wanted to see this rare smelly plant and it only blooms for two days because it takes so much of the plant's energy to produce a blossom.

Mickey went with her son and two grandsons to see the plant.  Her little grandson loves to have his picture taken (good thing, with a grandmother like Mickey ;)) so was pleased to have his picture taken with it.

(used with permission)
Check out the website to learn more about the Amorphophallus Titanum (Corpse Plant).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I wonder if Mum blogged about me on my birthday...Corpse flower. Hmm. I guess that's close enough." ;)

TARYTERRE said...

The corpse plant sounds intriguing.

doodles n daydreams said...

We watched a programme a couple of weeks ago with David Attenborough and he showed this plant in a conservatory in London. It was amazing. Lucky you to see it for real.

Diana

Granny Annie said...

Laws a mercy, I have never heard of such a thing! Shouldn't they hand out gas masks to filter out the odor when you observe the blooming thing?

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

Never heard of such a plant. Quite a blossom!! Too bad it takes away from its beauty by being so smelly!

Loved the tour of your blooming cacti!! I was grateful for every flower I seen while in AZ/CA but sure wanted to see the cactus in bloom. Was a wee bit too early I guess.

Anonymous said...

my website best quality generic propecia - buy propecia from canada