Monday, September 26, 2011

Hockey Night in Canada

Well, not quite.  It was a bright sunny hot morning.  I went to watch 6-year old grandson Max's first hockey practice of the season.  I must say I was impressed at how much his skating has improved since I last watched him early last season.  And he looked like he was having fun.  Hockey will fill his family's weekends from now till March or April when the season ends.  He'll have practices every Saturday morning and games on Sunday.

Hockey is Canada's favorite sport - actually Lacrosse is our official sport but you never hear anything about it.  Hockey leads the way - in a country with so much winter it's only right that a winter sport is so popular.

Anyway, back to Max.  Here he is in action.






Look at the smile on that little face.
You'll have to excuse the quality of the pictures.  They were taken through the protective plexiglass surrounding the rink.  The boys wear their own personal jerseys and numbers in practice.  After this practice session they were given their official team jerseys and numbers.  Max chose to be  lucky number 13!  I'm sure it'll be good luck for him. After all, his Papa wore lucky #13 when he played softball and his team made it to the regional finals.

Just as a sidenote, Max's first hockey practice fell on the day of record breaking heat for this date here in Edmonton.  It was 32C - hot and sunny.  A good day to spend at an ice rink.


6 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a cute fellow your Max is. Those hot days won't be here for very long and then we'll be wishing for a warm day. One of my grandson's will be playing hockey this year too. I don't know if I'll make it to any games though, he's one of my long distance grands.

Mickey said...

Max you are a cute hockey player!

TARYTERRE said...

I don't know much about hockey... But it looks like your Max is equipped and ready to play. I wish him a good season with plenty of thrills and lots of fun.

sara said...

This reminded me that I need to buy him a new stick.

Ellie said...

Well, your grandson certainly looks as if he enjoys his hockey.

Ellie said...

Well, your grandson certainly looks as if he enjoys his hockey.