Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What a Relief!

I feel so much better now.  I'm such a wimp about going to the dentist.  A year and a half ago I missed an appointment for a regular cleaning...a grandbaby was born and I had to wanted to go to Lethbridge to meet her and deliberately totally forgot about the appointment. 

Hannah Rose - March 2010


So when I got home I booked another one for two months later.  When it came time for that appointment another grandbaby arrived unexpectdly six weeks early so I was called upon to babysit the baby's siblings while the parents were at the hospital.  Who could blame me for missing that appointment???

Tate - May 2010


Again I rescheduled for two months down the road.  Again...wait for it...another grandbaby was born and once again I stayed home to look after the baby's siblings. 

Quinn - July 2010


Did I mention that 2010 was a very busy year for babies in our family and a very neglected dental care year for me?  It was!

When the dentist didn't call me back to book my annual check-up in August I figured he must have written me off.  Fine with me.  I had some issues with his care, or lack thereof, earlier when I had a root canal - another story altogether.  So I told myself I'd find another dentist - actually I planned to go to the one he sent me to who really helped me with the root canal.

But because I'm a huge procrastinator, combined with the fact that I really don't like going to the dentist, I never made the appointment.  Then in steps Lloyd.  He's in High Level.  He has a toothache because he never went and had the temporary filling on a broken tooth replaced with a permanent one over a year ago.  Do you see a pattern here?  I wonder if our grown up children ever go to the dentist?  I must check. Maybe it's hereditary.

Anyway,  Lloyd called and asked me to make an appointment for him with the dentist I had planned on going to myself.  So I called and made an appointment for Lloyd and while I was on the phone, I made one for myself too.  I figured it was safe because none of my daughters or daughters-in-law are pregnant right now.

Today was the day.  I was dreading it because....I was feeling guilty....I was sure some dread disease had lodged itself in my mouth due to my neglect...I figured I'd have to have lots of work done, etc.  Was I surprised!  It was a great experience.  The hygenist was wonderful, funny, and gentle.  The dentist was the same.  I got my teeth cleaned, was given a gift bag with mouth wash, toothpaste, special rubber gum cleaners, floss, toothbrush, etc.  It was like going to a kid's birthday party.  And my insurance covered all but $16.00 of the treatment.  I'll go back for a follow-up in three months without a care in the world.

I remember (though some of you younger ones won't) when Mum started taking us to the dentist when we were 4 or 5 (way back in the 1950s) the dentist would give us a can of tooth powder as we were leaving.  Have you ever used this stuff?  It was actually quite fun to use.  You would sprinkle a bit of the powder in the palm of your hand, wet your toothbrush, rub the brush into the powder on your hand and make a paste right there in your hand, and transfer it to your teeth with your toothbrush, and then scrub.  Kids just don't have fun like that anymore.

And that was my fun for today.

Pat

16 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

You were like my mom - she hated the dentist. Glad you went - do you guys go every three months in Canada? sandie

Lucy said...

I don't mind at all going to the dentist. I just don't have any insurance for that and my teeth don't like that at all. It was a worthwhile year. Darling babies.

Emtron said...

I have serious dentist issues. You should send me your new dentist's info, sounds nice.

Mickey said...

I've never liked going to the dentist even though I have a wonderful one and rarely experience any discomfort. My fears go back to the slow drill and length of drilling when anesthetic ran out when I was a child. But I do not like having my teeth picked at and cleaned -but it does feel so wonderful when she is finished.

janjan said...

Lets see if this works Pat, I did as you suggested.
I have two temporary fillings, I had to go to the hospital dentist to get it done, she refused to do the root canal work on them and just put the temps on, she got that clamp thing stuck in my mouth, cut my lip and didn't apologise. That was three years ago and I'm not game to go back to any dentist. I've cracked a back tooth and really need to go but I just can't afford to go to another dentist. The hospital dentist had to close down because they found asbestos in the roof and its being rebuilt, which means I would have to go on a waiting list to go to the one in the next town.
Okay, lets hit post and see what happens

JQ said...

Eerie, Mum. My dentist just called to book with me today.

Bev said...

I'm with you... I strongly dislike the dentist!! Having grandbabies is much better than the dentist...(I would even have a baby if it meant I didn't have to go to the dentist:)

I remember that powder paste!

Granny Annie said...

Did you know that dentist have the highest suicide rate of any medical professionals. It is said to be because they are so feared while their work is for healing. I was hurt by a dentist when I was 12 and I bit the man. He kicked me out of his office and told me never to return. My sister had the same fear of dentists yet she married one. My bil has taught us both the miracles of modern painless dentistry. Thankfully our children and grandchildren have never been hurt by a dentist and do not understand our foibles.

Holly said...

Oh man, its been way too long for me. I'm overdue. I suppose I should make an appointment. Grrrrrr.

Southhamsdarling said...

Glad the dentist was a pleasant experience for you today. My goodness, so many new babies suddenly appearing in your family. How wonderful!

Ellie said...

Oh that's strange you talking about the dentist - I have to go tomorrow to have an extraction as I have an infected root. I'm absolutely terrified I have a fear of going to dentist. I'll be gland when it's all done. Wish me luck!!!!
You asked about my Emma and her hockey - they are going to play against some Boston senior schools while they are there.

Anonymous said...

I recently had a lot of dental problems - then I found a wonderful dentist who sorted everything out .... then annopunced that he was retiring!! Shock, horror - I told him he couldn't possibly retire as I was in love with him (in a dentistry sort of way!!)

Kath said...

I have never loved visiting the dentist but just put on my big girl panties and got through it. Til this year that is. Now to fill a cavity they gas me. Dumb expense. ugh
Such cute lil grands!

TARYTERRE said...

Such sweet pictures of the little ones. Your excuses sounded reasonable to me about the dentist. LOL I have a phobia about dentists, especially after a bad experience I had with one. So being in the chair is not my favorite thing. Glad you had a good visit with yours.

BB said...

I hate cleanings because I have sensitive nerves exposed from gums receding. I'd rather get a root canal because they numb your whole face for that. I hate dentists!!

Desiree said...

Another thoroughly delightful post, Pat! As I've said, you really do have a gift for telling stories! And I had a few good giggles all the way through, as well, so I'm feeling well entertained after my overdue visit to Pat's Ramblings!

Your grandbabies pictures are marvellous...such little beauties all three were!