Friday, May 18, 2012

Favorites

I've been thinking about what kind of scrapbook layouts I can work on next, other than family pictures and activities, and came up with the idea (not very original) of doing one about my favorite things.  Before I do, though, I'm going to blog about it.  We all have favorites but it's not always to think what they are.  Here's a start.


Color- the grandkids are always asking me this.  It used to be yellow, changed to green for years, but now I think I've settled on shades of aqua/turquoise/teal.



Animal - Cats! Always cats.  They're so cute and cuddly and playful as kittens then become so independent and mysterious as they become adult felines.  How can anyone not love a cat.



Bird - Owls.  I love their eyes and their lovely oval shape.  Until last week I thought they were either white or brown but would you believe I found a picture of a rainbow owl. The species was hunted almost to extinction in Montana but are making a comeback.  For granddaughter Brooklyn, I also found a purple owl - she loves owls and the color purple.




Person in the whole world - My husband - Lloyd Allan MacKenzie.  He has made all my dreams come true - except for the dream of great wealth - but the riches he has given me last far longer than mere money.



Number - it's always been seven - it seems like a magical number somehow.  The fact that I have seven children has nothing to do with it.

Vacation Destination - Arizona, especially in the winter.  It's such an amazing place to explore, from desert to forests and mountains.  I can't get enough of it. 



Flower - For smell - Lily of the Valley and Sweet Peas.  For appearance - Poppy

Lily of the Valley

Sweet Peas

Poppies


Place I've Lived - I've lived so many places, being a military brat and then married to a man whose job took us all across Canada, but I think the place where I was most content was Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia.  The kids were young, my parents were nearby, we were near the ocean beaches, etc.  Life was good there for a young family.

Halifax, NS


Lawrencetown Beach - just a few minutes down the road from where we lived.


 Word - Psychopharmacology.  I love the rhythm of this word which I heard for the first time about 15 years ago as I was driving to work and listening to the radio. It's very singable to the tune of Happy Anniversary.  Try it.  A close runner-up is persnickity.

Song - Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers.  Made popular by the movie Ghost, I loved it before the movie ever came out.


Movie - The Princess Bride...'as you wish'.  This movie has everything - pirates, princesses, evil prince, sword fights, a giant,  monster animals (ROUSs),  castles, magic, and love, pure love.  A great family movie that we watched over and over again.




Book - The Stand by Stephen King.  It contains everything I like in a book - a classic battle between good and evil, a post-apocalyptic setting, a hint of romance, and a touch of the supernatural.



Child - I think at one time or another each of my children thought they were my favorite because whenever one of them asked, the answer was always 'you are'.  I heard it said once that a mother's favorite child is the one who needs her the most at any given time.  That may be true.  It's impossible for me to choose which of my kids is my favorite - all of them are!



Singer - The late, great Roy Orbison.  I watch him on PBS every chance I get.  I've loved his music since the early 1960s when Pretty Woman became popular.  His untimely death was a huge loss to the music world.


Well, in order to keep this post from becomming ridiculously long, I'll end my list there.  Maybe I'll add to it at a later date.  Does anyone out there have the same favorites as me?






7 comments:

Bev said...

What wonderful favourites!! Good way to get to know you better!

Granny Annie said...

This is a great list of "favorites". You put them together very artistically and made then incredibly interesting. My spouse too has made my life rich though we are not wealthy!

Pearl said...

Have you ever read the unabridged version of The Stand?! His publisher made him cut like 300 pages from the original -- and the result is still huge!

If you ever get the chance....

And who doesn't love cats?!

Pearl

Mickey said...

Favorites for me are hard to pin down! I love so many flowers,foods,movies and holiday destinations -love so many! Great blog. Hot enough where you are?

Magpie said...

I can see several of these making it to your favorites scrap book page. I have several of them in common with you also. :)

TARYTERRE said...

That field of poppies is my favorite of all your choices followed by that kitty. LOVE those eyes. putting all these favorites into a scrapbook is a brillant idea.

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

My favorite animal is a cat too. I still am stuck on greens as favorite color tho.

Fun post!