Tuesday, May 8, 2012

So Proud of Them

It was a weekend of amazing accomplishments for a daughter, daughter-in-law, son-in-law and granddaughter this past week.  We are so incredibly proud of them all.

First there is Mary and Greg's daughter, 7-year old Layla.  She ran her first 10k run and came in third place with a time of 1:07:53 - beat only by two adults.  She's amazing.

Layla with one of her fans.

She was pretty tired after the run, but happy.  Little brother Baron
wants to race too.

Then there was Mary, Greg and Cindy.  They went to Vancouver for the marathon - Mary and Greg to run the full marathon and Cindy to run the half marathon.  The first ever for all of them.


SILGreg, DIL Cindy and Daughter Mary before the race

Cindy's race was first.  That's her en route at the front.

Cindy during the run

...and after - still feeling the effects of the run.
Then it was time for Mary and Greg to get ready for the full marathon.

Greg and Mary
 Here they are nearing the end of the 43k (26 miles) marathon.

I love the way Greg is looking at Mary - he adores her.

And at the end of the race.

Of the race, Mary posted this on her facebook status:


12 years ago today I married my best friend. Today I ran my first marathon with him. I ran the first 10k with him by my side, then I sent him ahead so I could slow down. At 32k I was shocked to find he ran back over a 1km to run the last 10k with me and finish together meaning he ran about 45k instead of 42.2km. I love you Greg! Thank you.

That makes me tear up everytime I read it.  They were barely 20 when they got married 12 years ago.


The unsung hero of the day award goes to our son Rob, Cindy's husband.  He trained for months for the marathon and was getting great times on his long runs.  He was psyched for the challenge of the big race.  But a few weeks ago he got injured and has to undergo physiotherapy to correct a pelvic defect he apparently inherited from his paternal grandfather, but which had never been detected.  His doctor insisted that he can't run until the issue is corrected.   So instead of running, Rob accompanied his wife, sister and brother-in-law and acted as cheer leader, photographer and emotional support from the sidelines.  I'm as proud of him as I am of the runners.  What a good guy. 


Rob in Vancouver.
So to all of you - Layla, Greg, Mary, Cindy and Rob - Congratulations.  You make your family proud.

9 comments:

Mickey said...

You should be proud! What your family accomplished!
Love all the celebratory photos!

Sush said...

Wow! So many wonderful accomplishments and act of love. Your sure do have every reason to be proud and feeling very blessed!
Hugs~

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Congrats to them all. Lots to be proud of there in your family!

Holly said...

What a great day for the whole family. Congrats to all of them!

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

WOW!!! What a big hurdle to accomplish!! And Layla?!?! She gets a WOW all her own!
What marathon will they be sailing thru next?

Southhamsdarling said...

Congratulations to all of them. Didn't they do well?! I love how Greg came back to run that last part of the Marathon with Mary. Aaaw, so sweet. Didn't little Laila do well? Wow!! Great post.

Magpie said...

All amazing accomplishments! Makes me feel like a slug. :)

TARYTERRE said...

My brother runs MARATHONS too. So I know what a personal accomplishment this is for each and every one of your family members doing it. CONGRATS to all. I applaud you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making it all possible Pat! You are my hero :)

Love, Cindy