Friday, August 6, 2010

Old Relics


It's a strange feeling when you realize that you are the 'old guys' at the family get-togethers now. Our generation has finally made it to the top of the heap! It's rather nice to have all the work and organizing for these semi-reunions done by our children's generation - we and our sisters and brothers and in-laws get to finally just sit in our lawn chairs and watch all the fun happening around us, cheering on the grandchildren in their races and games, and holding all the new babies. All we had to do was show up, bring sun screen, mosquito repellant, lawn chairs, and food for the potluck. It was great fun.

At one point in the afternoon Lloyd's brother-in-law, Duane, took us and daughter Jenny on a jeep tour of their acres of prairie. Now that was fun...bouncing across the acres of prairie land! I was just afraid we'd get stuck, or have a flat tire someplace in the lower 40 and have to hike back to the homestead. Luck was with us though, not to mention Duane's excellent maneuvering of the jeep through the fields.

We came across three or four 'old relics' out there among the prairie grass...a 1943 GMC truck (wow! it was at least 5 years older than us!!!), a 1954 GMC truck, and an ancient Fargo. There was also an old Ford there but I didn't take pictures of it. Here are some of my favorites.



Jenny and Duane checking out the Fargo

The unusual signal light
...and where it was placed on the truck
My very favorite 'old relic' - Lloyd

Fun times!

4 comments:

Jane said...

Sounds you like had a good time with your family. I enjoyed the pictures of the old cars!

Jane

Mickey said...

Wonderful Pat! It is a strange feeling knowing now that we are the elderly of the family group!
I try not to think about it too much!

Kath said...

If we ran across such a find my boys would be telling what they would all do to their fave one, what color it would be, what wheels they would put on it,......... dont forget the topnotch stereo system!
Did I just spend too many days (900 miles)trapped in a vehicle with boys????
We are in charge of our family reunion this weekend. Will be glad when its over.

Annesphamily said...

I love those old trucks! What a sight! Thanks for sharing. I am really going to love stopping by here. Come visit me soon. I have lots of giveaways going on. Just check my giveaway posts! Woo Hoo
Anne