Friday, June 1, 2012

Arizona Road Trip - Part 4 - Holbrook

Holbrook is one of the towns along the old Route 66.  All of the towns along that route seem to have something to offer, mostly in the way of historic route 66 memoralbia.  Here's what we found at Holbrook.

A Wigwam Motel, with cars from a by-gone era...just as it was in the hay-day of the 1920s, 1930s and 40s...when Route 66 was The vacation experience.


"Have You slept in a Wigwam Lately?" reads the sign.  This motel has been placed on the National Register of Historic Properties.  It is rumored that Oprah and Gayle stayed here on their much publicized cross country road trip.  Each wigwam is an individual room but there is a 'regular' motel just behind the wigwams for those who wish to stay there.



Some of the cars there pre-date our very existence! *gasp*  I have no idea what this one is but Lloyd thought it was important for me to pose between the word 'special' and the three little crome ovals on this one.

Lloyd liked this old car.  Was it a Packard?  I'll ask him.  Look how the trees are trimmed to resemble the wigwams.

Isn't this one a beauty.  Lloyd thought it was too 'new' to be in the picture, but I mostly wanted a picture of the line of wigwams.


That was a fun stop along the way.  We're finding out that Arizona is full of these little surprises.  You'll have to come and find out for yourselves!

7 comments:

Mickey said...

I saw where Oprah visited the Wigwam motel but she openly said "no!" she couldn't stay there! Guess it wasn't up to snuff for her but we saw inside and all around. Quite a trip! Enjoying your photos!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love the wigwams. You used to see motels decorated similar to that even here in my part of the country but they are gone now. Nice that they've kept their theme there. I guess you do have a lot to see out there.

RoeH said...

LOL! I didn't even notice the trees when I was there. :)

Magpie said...

You two are brave to have been out and about at this time of year.

TARYTERRE said...

I saw Oprah at the Wigwam too. Her objection was the lack of BIG windows. Made her claustrophobic, I think. It would bother me too. I find the wigwams charming, except for the small window. The vintage cars are a hoot. LOVE your photos. take care.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. I can't believe how much you keep discovering for the amount of times you have been to AZ. Loving all the discovery posts!
-Mary

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO?
I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm
not seeing very good success. If you know
of any please share. Appreciate it!

My blog post - http://mysocial.site11.com/index.php?do=/blog/438/video-Editing-Software-for-adults/