Sunday, February 19, 2012

Botanical Gardens

I almost forgot to go back to Valentine's Day and blog about our visit to the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix.  Since we had already 'done' Scottsdale, we didn't have time enough to explore the whole site, but we did do two of the trails.  It's full of amazing scenery whichever trail you follow.

It was a cool overcast day, not what we're used to when we come to Arizona, but it made for very pleasant walking and interesting cloud cover.

Randy, Wendy, Pat, Lloyd

Wendy at the entrance - glass sculptures


Cholla in bloom

Prickly Pear and Organ Pipe cactus





A Cactus Wren (I think) on top of a tree)

A beautiful golden barrel cactus

and behind it, a barrel cactus collapsed like a deflated basketball

Cactus Wren (I think)

A field of desert flora




I don't know what these cacti are but the circle of tiny pink blossoms around the top of them made me think of little girls dancing.

This cute little guy was darting all over the cactus without a worry about poking his eyes out!

Wendy and Randy with the Papagos in the background

There was a huge bunch of blossoms on this succulent

Lovely orange blossoms on the hoya (you Arizona bloggers feel free to correct me when I misname some of the animals and plants)

This fuzzy cactus looks like it's covered in long white hair.

There was a family of three rabbits foraging among the cactus.
The Desert Botanical Garden is a lovely place to visit at any time of the year.  There's always something different to see.  The beauty of it is in it's natural uncultivated setting.  And on the second Tuesday of the month admission is free after 1 pm.  Just so you know.

Pat

7 comments:

Mickey said...

I do love cacti! The blooms are outstanding. That is the most beautiful Garden! Loved your pics Pat!

Magpie said...

You took some great shots! I especially love the little chipmunk guy. How did he not get hurt?? Aren't they amazing. And the cactus wren is one of my favorites. Thanks for the info on Tuesday afternoons. :)

Granny Annie said...

I am not a fan of cacti. However you made this a lovely tour and I might just have to look at them more closely from now on.

Holly said...

I've seen those little chipmunks do that. Isn't that strange?

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have visited several botanical gardens mostly around here in Ohio but yours is a very unique one compared to those. Living in that area I suppose it's not so rare to see those plants but for me it is. Anyway all your pictures are very beautiful. Nature never fails to delight me.

Ellie said...

Wow, those are amazing cacti shots.

TARYTERRE said...

What an absolutely GORGEOUS place. It is spectacular. Never seen a Botanical Garden like it. Thanks for sharing. your photos really took me there. Thoroughly enjoyed the tour.