Wednesday, February 1, 2012

It's February

February!  The shortest month of the year which, here in north-central Alberta, always seems like the longest, and coldest, and most miserable month of the year.  I don't know what to expect this year, since winter has given us a huge respite from what is usual for this time of year.  I'm not complaining - just wondering what's in store.

Last February


Doesn't matter though.  In four days I'll be in Arizona and won't return till the month is almost done. And then it's almost spring.

February does have it's good points.  Valentine's Day, for one.  And my second daughter Amy's birthday, which also happens to be on Valentine's Day.  Her birth forever changed Valentine's day for our family.  Until then we celebrated the day as it was intended - hearts and flowers and cards all around.  Then it became Amy's birthday, which we celebrated with a heart shaped cake, birthday cards and presents for our little love child, whose name, coincidentally, means 'beloved'. 

Amy and Curtis - 2011


February also marks the anniversary of my Dad's birth in 1922 and his death in 1993.  He was a great father and grandfather - he loved to tease and play with his grandchildren.  His influence is still felt in our family and we think of and speak of him often.

Dad - 1921
Mum and Dad - 1993

So I guess overall, February is a month full of sunshine, love, and remembrances of beloved people.  Not so dark and gloomy and miserable after all.

I hope your month shapes up to be a good one for you.

19 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We have 2 February birthdays in my family to celebrate too. They are not on Valentines day though. You do have dual reasons for celebrating there. Isn't it wonderful that in the midst of whatever else is going on there are such wonderful causes for celebration. We are having a mild winter so far here and it does make you wonder how February will be treating us. Enjoy your break away from the cold and ice.

just call me jo said...

That's so great that February is short. (I don't know why that makes me so happy.) Nothing celebritory here but Holly and and I are lunching with Larainy and Roeann. Maybe we can get together when you come down this month. Celebrate those milestones.

Magpie said...

I love how you turned your thoughts about February to positive thoughts. Glad to hear you're heading to our warmer weather. It's gorgeous here right now.

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Pat. What a beautiful header photo. February is a celebration month for you then really. Your dad sounds like a very special man.

Michael MacKenzie said...

Nice post, Mum, but that picture of your parents was taken in 1992 or 1993. Wasn't it the last time he visited us before he died?

Bev said...

So is the snow gone this Feb? Have notice the weather has been warm back home?

Ellie said...

Your february sounds as if it is full of celebration - hope you have a great month.
I just thought I would add I love your header picture. Soooo cute.

-danielle- said...

Pat, I hope you have a fabulous February !! :) and may I also say what an completely adorable baby on your banner - that smile ! <3

TARYTERRE said...

Sounds like February is full of wonderful moments to celebrate in your family, including the Arizona trip. My dad is celebrating his 80th birthday this month. But we're under strict intructions, no party,no gifts. Now we don't know what to do? Kind of put a damper on things. if the warm temps continue maybe we can make a trip over the mountains to see him. GODSPEED. Enjoy your trip. take care.

Mickey said...

Beautiful blog Pat! Gorgeous header!
We have two important birthdays too in Feb but this year we will all be miles apart! Cards and treats have gone out for Valentines Day before we depart! Our weather has been wonderfully warm and snowless but not sure what that will mean to the farmers.
Happy Birthday Amy! >3

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

My goodness! We've done almost identical posts today. Except, I'm not headed to Arizona!

Laeli said...

If this month is anything like last month we're gonna be A-OK:)

February is a rich month for you!

Anonymous said...

February is special in my home, too. My husband and I got married on the 14th in 1970. We're old!!
YOUR family has many reasons to celebrate the month. How dear.

Ok, I expect PHOTOS from AZ with 'you know who and her friend'. PROMISE???

Michael and Hanne said...

Lovely Story!

larainydays said...

Nice to find you Pat. Hope you love Arizona so much that you come back over and over.

larainydays said...

Nice to find you Pat. Hope you love Arizona so much that you come back over and over.

RoeH said...

Get on down here. The sun is shining and it is too hot for moi. But I'll live with it.

Raindrops and Daisies said...

My lovely husband has a birthday in February so that is something nice!

Hope that all is well with you and your family Pat,
the new banner at the top of your blog is beautiful.

I am busy playing catch-up
but being honest don't think I will ever catch up on all I have missed!!

Glad to be back reading your lovely blog.

Fiona x

Granny Annie said...

Our pictures from last February are like yours. We ended up with 23 inches of snow which was a record for our part of the state of Oklahoma. This February is like Spring with lovely temperatures. We simply cannot make our plans based on the weather.