Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Colors

What happens when a scrapbooker/blogger goes to a quilting supplies store with her sister?

PHOTO OP!!!

I love colors...all kinds of colors, and the fabric store was a goldmine of color.  Here's a sampling:


Pretty Florals

Bright yellows and reds


Soft Prints

I love this bright orange sign


Two toned sateen



Hundreds of spools of brightly colored threads

Even the quilting how-to books were colorful

This beautiful bright quilt was full of chickens


Wendy bought the pattern for this swirl table runner so she could make one for herself.


I checked out Colors on the internet and found some interesting factoids that might tickle your fancy.


 The human eye can distinguish about 10 million different colors.

50% of women have 4 color cones in their eyes instead of the usual 3, meaning that they can differentiate more colors than the rest of the population who have 3 color cones.
 7 - 8% of human males are relatively or completely deficient in color vision.  Rabbits, cats and dogs have limited or no color vision.

 Humans are colorblind in dim light.
 Redheads are more susceptible to pain and require more anesthesia for surgery.
 The color of the universe is beige - "cosmic latte".  (Averaged color values of all the light from galaxies out to several billion light years)

 People work more efficiently when they can see houseplants, and patients recover more quickly from surgery and with fewer drugs when they are in a room with a green view.
 Baker-Miller Pink (Drunk Tank Pink).  This color has been used in prisons to keep inmates calm.  It is said to have a tranquilizing effect on people.   "Even if a person tries to be angry or aggressive in the presence of pink, he can't.  The heart muscles can't race fast enough.  Its a tranquilizing color that saps your energy.  Even the color blind are tranquilized by pink rooms."  Morton Walker, The Power of Color, (New York, Avery Publishing Group, 1991) pp 50-52






The End

16 comments:

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

I love color!!
Im a redhead and yet I am very sensitive to most medications. I really only need a half dose.
Zach is a painter of vehicles and he is color blind. He makes that 7-8%. But yet he does great on color matching which is a huge blessing! Better than most in his class that were not color blind.
He just bought himself a semi with the homeliest interior we have all ever seen. Its green, aqua-y, eeeeew.
To him it looks grey and silver so he loves it! We keep telling him he is going to have to find the other color blind trucker when it comes time to sell it!! lol

Belle said...

Those were such interesting facts about color. 10 million colors! That store looks fantastic by the way.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love this post all about color. It's true that in dim light I cannot tell black from blue. I have to find some bright daylight in order to do sometimes. I love bright colors especially in the winter when we are having so many dreary days. Hope your Wednesday is a wonderful one!

just call me jo said...

Did you go to Sun Valley Quilts? I love fabric too. I'm starting to lean towards neutrals and all white right now, but I still love color.

Magpie said...

I'm with you. Colors always get my heart going. Like a box of new crayons on the first day of school.
I think I might quit dyeing my hair red though...don't want too much sleepy juice. :) I love all the facts you shared. Great post.

Anonymous said...

The shop looks fabulous - all that gorgeous thread! Thanks for all the info on colour - very interesting, especially the bit about not being able to get angry in a pink room!!

Ellie said...

Oh I'm with you - I LOVE colour.
We have a fabric shop I sometimes visit and I love the array of colours that I see you there.
Some very interesting facts you got there - what an interesting blog.

Delena said...

Beautiful pictures in the fabric store. I love color too. Lately just love the color orange. Remember the 70"s and now its back!

TARYTERRE said...

What a delightful post about colors. Loved all the factoids. When I have been in the hospital, I would have given anything for a room with a view. Healing would have been faster, I know. My hubby is colorblind now that he is older. We do not know why. I hear HOT pink is a BIG color for spring. Think I will leave it for the younger ladies to wear.'LOL Take care.

Laeli said...

Oh yes! A woman after my own heart.
I love this post! So cheerful and rich. :happy sigh:

JQ said...

Out with one of your quilting buddies?

Granny Annie said...

Bright colors really turn me on! Plus I need that chicken quilt.

Mickey said...

All I could think of is wouldn't it be lovely if it was all paper!!

Jane said...

Wow! You have some really great shots. I love the word "Imagine" as well!

Jane

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

What a great post! I love colors and like you visiting a quilt shop is one way to get a color fix.
I have my home painted in shades of pinks, greens and yellow. Would do more colors if I had the time. lol
Have a great weekend
Love
Maggie

Chatty Crone said...

There are so many different colors - they look so pretty - and so much fun. sandie